Saturday, November 9, 2013

Dear Universe, Looking for Comfort in all the Wrong Places

               That’s what I’ve been doing lately; looking to the wrong things to comfort me. I always think that a certain food or curling up in bed watching a favorite tv show and playing minesweeper will comfort me. It does work sometimes, but those are my go-to sources of comfort if I’ve had a bad day or I’m moody, or I have extra time on my hands, or I feel I deserve it. And those things are totally valid reasons to search for comfort but I need to branch out and get some comfort variety because mind-numbing television and sweet treats aren’t always what I need. Sometimes I need validation – like from a friend or just anyone, really. Sometimes I need self-esteem – such as the feeling I get from being productive, having a clean apartment, or exercise. Exercise also lets me blow off some excess energy, a problem that tv would make worse.

                I need comfort variety. So today I’m going to try and make a list of things I can do that will help fulfill my needs (not a dirty reference). As a person with depression, I’m prone to tunnel vision and selective memory. Sometimes I can’t even think of things that I might enjoy and if I do think of them, the activity just seems too far away for me to actually do. I know that might not make sense but it’s the only way I can think to describe it.
Things I can do to make myself feel better;

  • Food
  • Tv
  • Minesweeper
  • Playing with my cats
  • Playing piano
  • Writing
  • Reading
  • Take a walk
  • Take a bath
  • Paint my nails 
  • Pampering with beauty products
  • Practicing makeup
  • Seeing a friend
  • Playing games
  • Talking to guys on dating sites
  • Talking to my online support group 
  • Texting/calling friends
  • Soaking feet
  • Photography
  • Try something new
  • Meditation
  • Reading blogs
  • Yoga
  • Baking 
  • Crafting
  •  Massage
  • Listen to music
  • Hot shower 
  • Go to a café or coffee shop to write or just be
  • Watching wildlife outside my window
  •  Coloring mandalas
  • Watch a sad movie and cry
  • Take a mental health day
  • Drink tea
  • Singing


I’m going to try to do these things instead of the normal and update this list when I think of more comforting things.







No comments:

Post a Comment